Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some People Actually Want the Government to Do Everything

Michael Moore thinks that Obama's firing of GM's CEO is a brilliant move. Why? Because Obama can do no wrong. He talks about how getting fired from GM has ruined people's lives. Well, guess what Michael, companies don't fire good employees unless they have to. So, you get fired because you have a drinking problem, a drug problem, aren't performing well enough to deserve a demotion, or it is not in the company's interest to retain you. This is especially true if you manage to get fired and you are a member of a union. GM, like all other companies, is not in the business of providing jobs or making cars, they are in the business of making money. Does the CEO make more than everyone else, yes he does. Whether CEO's deserve the amount they make is up to the opinion of the company. If a promotion doesn't bring rewards, why should anyone strive to improve and take on more responsibility?

Obama has set a dangerous precedent by effectively firing employees at a private company. In 4 or 8 years, there will be a new president and now he has to determine the cabinet members to help run the country and who he will employ at GM, AIG, and whichever other companies Obama decides to envelope into his administration. Companies cannot change directions every 4 or 8 years and expect to be profitable. I guess it is fortunate that the Federal Government is in the business of handing out money with no intention of making a profit. What government program makes you think that the Federal government can run GM better than General Motors?

Michael Moore sat in on a Senate Finance Committee regarding bailout funds given to banks. He had to leave because he was pissed that the banks wouldn't tell the 'overseers' where the money had gone. Guess what, if you give someone money and then ask them what happened to it after they spent it, you failed as an overseer. If I give a bum five dollars and turn my back, I should expect him to use the money as he pleases. Even though he and I both know the best way to use the money, I wouldn't expect it to happen. I'd be an idiot to be angry when he refuses to tell me he bought a fifth of McCormick's. But if I walk him into a KFC and tell him the best way to spend his money is to get 5 KFC Buffalo Chicken Snackers and a water, then I am overseeing how he spends the money.

The worst part about this is that there are a lot of people that think like this. Thank God the government is there to step in and straighten out these corrupt kings of corporation. Jeez. Right now the mortgage industry, auto industry, insurance industry, and the federal government are all in cahoots. Once they get a hold of the healthcare industry they will corner the market on sketchy, underhanded industries.

1 comment:

  1. Heard about the Pay for Performance Act? The house financial services committee proposed to be able to put pay restrictions on employees... the government setting 'appropriate' compensation in private companies. Check this one out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVA__DwqAQ

    Where is the anger? Where is the outrage? I'm starting to believe we are all deaf dumb blind sheep happy to be lead to have our freedom sheared.

    ReplyDelete